Responsive Website Design
Responsive web design is a new buzz phrase that you may hear whenever speaking to people regarding website design and development. When you hear those words, listen up! When building a new website, it is extremely important to consider building your website to be responsive (per Google).Simply put, responsive websites are viewable on mobile platforms such as smart phones and tablets, as well as desktop computers. The site adjusts to fit the screen that it is being viewed on for user ease. Take a look at our video below demoing ICND's own responsive website design.
What is Responsive Website Design?
It is a website design technique that allows you to create a single website that will adapt to the device on which it's being viewed, whether it's a laptop, smartphone or tablet. A site built with responsive design will automatically resize for different devices.
Why Do I Need A Responsive or Mobile Site?
Because Google says so! Google recommends responsive website design over mobile design. If responsive design is not possible, than a mobile site is extremely important.
Mobile Site vs Responsive Website Design
While responsive website design is the newest technology, if you have an already existing site, your less expensive option is to go mobile, not responsive. A mobile site is a separate site built and coded to be viewable on a mobile device. You will notice the domain changes on a mobile site to something like m.domainnamehere.com or domaninnamehere.mobi when the site is a strict mobile site.
A responsive site is more complex. When the site is originally designed and cut up, there needs to be 5 different versions (Desktop, Tablet landscape, tablet portrait, smartphone landscape, smartphone portrait). It is not a separate site and your domain name will stay the same with a responsive site. If you are building a new website from scratch, this is your best option. We can set up the code and design to be responsive to begin with. The benefits of a responsive site over a mobile site are:
- SEO Friendly
- You don't have to pick and choose content - it shows all the content from your site
- Same CMS - it is a part of the main site so by editing it in your standard CMS, it is viewable on all platforms. With a mobile site you may have to edit the content more than once (desktop version and mobile version). But with a responsive site, there is no desktop version and mobile version, it is all one!
Did You Know?
- 3x more smartphones are being activated every minute around the world than there are babies being born.
- 58% of mobile phone users expect mobile sites to load as quickly or faster than desktop sites. 38% of users are willing to wait 30 seconds or less to complete simple transaction.
- TechCrunch predicts more mobile users than desktop users by the end of 2013 by 300 million
If your site isn't mobile friendly, your users might leave your site and go to a competitors site. A lot of traffic could potentially be lost due to the amount of people browsing the internet on their phones. Looking for more information on responsive website design? Contact your account rep today! Don't already have an account rep? No worries! Fill out the below form or call us at 1.866.249.6095 today!