When it comes to Facebook, there is no one-size-fits-all type of formula that is going to work for everyone; however, there are simple things that you can do to improve your results no matter what type of business you have. We are going to cover "The Anatomy of a Perfect Facebook Post" in this article to give you an edge and build more engagement with your fans.
What Makes a perfect Facebook post and why?
- Always include a photo!
- Many studies show the drastic increase in impressions, CTR and engagement when posts include an image.
- Extra Tip: Include a square image to ensure a uniform look on all devices and so that they aren’t cropped on your page or in the newsfeed.
- Add text on the image.
- This is easily done in a photo editing software. Add just a few words for added effect.
- If you’re advertising or promoting your posts, don’t cover more than 20% of your photo with text to stay within guidelines.
- Brand your photos
- As your photos are viewed and shared, let your brand have a bigger impact by adding a logo to the actual image.
- Use a Call to action ON the photo
- Don’t let this take away from your image but a simple arrow or call-to-action can increase your CTR and engagement.
- Extremely short text when possible – 10 words or less!
- Ok, 10 words or less sounds extremely short and it’s not always feasible but as a rule of thumb, just cut out any text that is not absolutely necessary.
- Call to action in the text
- If you ask people to “LIKE” & “SHARE” they’re much more likely to do it! Don’t over use it, but work it in every once in a while.
- Use a link and take the extra step to make it short and trackable.
- There are many services out there that help you create short trackable links such as bit.ly. For further tracking with multiple campaigns, I will sometimes use the Google URL Builder (which helps Google Analytics tracking) and then shorten that link inside of Bit.ly. Utilize this to track what is working!
Timing is everything!
Everything above is focused on maximizing your engagement which will also increase the affinity your brand has to your audience. Another very important element is timing:
“The average post reaches 15% of a brand’s fans and only stays in a newsfeed for 3 hours.” – Tweet this Stat
With that in mind, if your audience is more engaged at night, find out the right time when they are most likely to like/comment/share your posts. Some of the pages that we manage have success at 3pm, some at 8am on a Saturday and some at 8pm during the week. Do your own testing, look at your Facebook Insights and find the sweet spot.
What’s the most important thing to remember?
Engagement is key in social media. If people don’t care enough about what you are posting to “Like, Comment, or Share”; then you need to reevaluate. Always keep your audience engaged!
We previously contributed this blog to the VRMA Insights Blog. Educating yourself on the effective ways to leverage these tools is the first step to success – and there’s no better place than #VRMA2013. Don’t miss the 50+ Seminars in Nashville, TN as the VRMA tradeshow travels to Opryland for the biggest show of the year. This specific topic will be covered on Tuesday morning at 10am by the @InterCoastal Net Designs team.
We've gone over a lot of tips to help you make the most out of your Facebook posts by uncovering "The Anatomy of A Perfect Facebook Post". Today we're going to discuss why the newsfeed is such an important piece of Facebook, compare it to other marketing avenues and provide you some tips that you can start using immediately.
Analogies Comparing the Facebook Newsfeed to Other Advertising Efforts:
Email Marketing: If I were to send you an email every single day, you'd probably unsubscribe, right? - This isn't the case on Facebook where it is more acceptable to post daily and have your post appear in the newsfeed.
Blogging: If you were to post daily on your blog, how many people will go through the effort of actually going TO your blog every day? People already spend more time on Facebook than anywhere else online so Facebook pushes your content to them.
Billboard: Look at the newsfeed like a billboard you pass daily. Sometimes you notice them, sometimes you go right by and don't pay any attention. But if you pass a billboard everyday, that brand will be top of mind next time you have a need for that business.
Here are a few stats about the Facebook Newsfeed to think about while you read the article.
- 90% of time on Facebook is spent on the newsfeed.
- 85% of engagement and interactions on a Facebook page are created from the newsfeed.
- 95% of users only ever read their “Top News”
So the newsfeed is obviously important to focus on, it's where everyone sees your content on Facebook. And all of the posts and content in this newsfeed are ranked based on how relevant they are to each individual user. This is driven by "Edgerank". The Edgerank algorithm is used to determine what will be shown to you in your "Top News" feed that I mentioned above, the page that is most widely used on Facebook. The alternative feed being the "most recent" feed, in-which case your only strategy is to optimize for is time. Given the importance of the Top News feed on Facebook, I’m going to break down this Edgerank formula.
What is Edgerank?
Compare it to a search engines algorithm. While Google ranks webpages, Facebook ranks posts and shows the most relevant posts in your "Top News" feed. This relevance is determined by 3 main categories:
Weight: More Likes, Comments & Shares = higher rank.
Affinity: The greater connection and engagement your fans have with your posts, the higher rank your posts will be given in your fan's newsfeed.
Time: The more recent your post, the higher rank it receives.
*Note – There are a lot of factors that go into Edgerank, we are merely covering the surface and breaking it down into these three main categories in this article.
Couple things to keep in mind:
- As a brand, you page has to compete for affinity with your fan's family and friends. This is why it is so vital to create engaging content!
- On average, only 15% of a Facebook page's posts even seen by Fan's in their newsfeed.
- Pages with over 10,000 fans receive greater reach in the newsfeed.
- The average post will only last about 3 hours in the newsfeed - so timing is everything!
How to maximize your exposure in the newsfeed?
1) Follow my tips on The Anatomy of a perfect Facebook Post - this will help you get more engaged fans which increases the weight of your posts.
2) This is somewhat covered in the blog article linked above, but get to know your fans and truly engage with them. If you relate with them and post killer content, this will amplify your affinity with your fans.
3) Look at your insights. This is the equivalent to Google Analytics for your Facebook page. Facebook now shows you the time of day and day of the week when your fans are most active. Use this to post when your fans are online.
4) Know your fans. Again in the insights, you can see a lot of demographic information to learn who your fans are, where they live and much more. Use this to target your posts and tailor posts to your fan's interests.
Now that you know the importance of optimizing your posts for the newsfeed and I've given you a few tips on how to maximize your exposure; I hope that you put them to good use and share your experience with us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Let me know if you have any questions.
InterCoastal Net Designs is excited to assist Telluride Rentals of Colorado in their online marketing efforts. Our primary focus for their campaign is social media management, Pay Per Click and SEO consulation. We are excited to expand our client base out west. Our main goal for their social media accounts is to increase brand exposure and awareness.
In terms of social media marketing for Telluride Rentals, we will also manage the following:
- Contest, which will involve giving away a vacation package. The contest will be promoted via Facebook & Twitter, as well as with an eblast campaign. Contests are proven to increase exposure and build social media fan bases.
- We will be redesigning all of their social media accounts and rebranding with custom designs.
- Our social media team will also be managing a strategic content calendar for their social campaign.
On top of social media, we will hone in on a specific luxury rental niche through targeted pay per click advertising. Our SEO consultation will focus on content strategy and how best to improve their marketing and website through new and resourceful content.
We've got some pretty exciting news about a new feature in the social media world that can really help you engage users on your website through Facebook actions. Facebook is now allowing you to Embed Posts anywhere on the web. Well, not quite yet for everyone... The feature is still being rolled out and only available to a select group of users but once it is available, it will be very simple to do.
Take a look at this post from our Internet Marketing Workshop in Myrtle Beach earlier this year.
How to do it?
Lets think of some other ways to leverage this!
- Testimonials on your website.
- Realtors featuring a home.
- Vacation Rentals showcasing a property or special.
- Ecommerce companies embedding products integrated from Facebook.
The list goes on and on. Help us with your creativity and share some ideas on how you plan to implement a feature like this.
Contributed by: David Hutnik, Social Media Director
Contributed by: David Hutnik, Social Media Director
We are very excited to announce that the InterCoastal Net Designs team has been selected to speak at the upcoming VRMA Conference in Nashville, Tennessee. VRMA is the leading association for Vacation Rental Managers where they provide resources to thousands of industry professionals.
ICND President Brandon Sauls and Social Media Director David Hutnik will be tag teaming up on the topic “Leverage Social Media Like A Pro”. We’re going to be sharing some mind-blowing stats, case studies, REAL answers & insight to help managers takeaway powerful information they can use for their business from day one. We’ll be discussing dos & don’ts of contests and how to really leverage Facebook. We’ll discuss how you should be using Twitter effectively and cover how/when/why there is a place for Google+, Pinterest & Instagram.
With years of industry experience and results, we’re bringing practical strategies that WILL bring results and can be used while still at the VRMA conference. Broad topics that we will cover along with actionable takeaways will include:
- Explanation of Facebook Edgerank – how/when/what to post on Facebook!
- The anatomy of a perfect Facebook post
- Key tips to run a successful Social Media Contest for massive growth.
- Understanding of Twitter and how you can leverage the platform, not just participate.
- When there is a place for Instagram & Pinterest and the urgency of Google+.
- Facebook advertising tips!
If you're going to be at VRMA this year, we really hope to see you in our presentation. Be sure to let us know some of your questions that you'd like us to cover in the presentation. Submit your questions below in the comments and be sure to:
...and definitely visit the hottest booth at VRMA in Nashville this year with InterCoastal Net Designs. We’ll bring the stage with us and give you a chance to shine bright online!
What's new and changing in the world of Search Engine Optimization you ask? - Social Signals! It's been known for quite some time now that Social Media has a major influence on Search Engine Optimization and can be the key missing piece to help you rank higher; but how much does social matter? Well there are tons of benefits to social media but today we will focus on search engine implications.
In a recent study by searchmetric, they show an in-depth analysis of over 10,000 search terms within US based Google searches. This amounted to over30,000 search results pages, 5 Billion backlinks, 4 Billion Facebook Shares, 13 Billion Facebook Likes, 600 Million Facebook Comments, 1 Billion Tweets, 330 Million Google plus ones and 14.5 Million Pins. First, it's obvious that the social presence in search is very prevelant, but let's keep going. Here is a graph showing the most important factors that they found for search engine placement.
"7 of the top 10 factors for SEO are Social" (Tweet This Stat)
Not only does this graph prove how important Social Media is as a whole, but it really highlights the implications Google+ is having on Search Engine Results.
You've all seen hashtags at some point. Twitter introduced the use of the # symbol a long time ago as a way to categorize what people are talking about. This widely popular symbol has grown to be very prevalent in other social networks such as Google+, Pinterest, Instagram and others. You may have even seen people use them on Facebook but completely irrelevant – until now!
What are they?
Hashtags are simply a way to categorize popular topics. If you’re talking about an area like Myrtle Beach, you would use #MYR, if you’re talking about the NBA Finals, you could use #NBAFinals. As a lot of people use the same hashtag, you can then search #NBAFinals (or whatever topic you’re interested in) and find out what everyone is saying about that topic.
How to use them?
Just put the # symbol before the topic you are talking about. Not sure what hashtag to use? Do some searches and watch what others are using. Once a hashtag is used, you will see it highlighted in the post and you can click on it to see what others are saying.
No issues here. Facebook has always received pushback on privacy so this is of the utmost importance. If you’re sharing a post with friends only, and using a hashtag, only those friends will be able to see the post and see that post within the hashtag's feed.
When are they coming?
Facebook announced that they are being released today. Although, I can't see them yet, they always release things to a few people and then slowly roll them out to the masses so this will likely be introduced in the coming weeks. However, we do have some VIP's in the office such as our Social Media Extraordinaire Dan who has the access to provide some great screenshots for us.
Opportunities for Businesses!
- Find other targeted users with common interests! For brand pages, this is HUGE!
- Hashtags will most certainly influence Search Engine Optimization and Graph Search Optimization within Facebook.
- Surely there will be advertising options soon to "promote posts" to come up at the top of any hashtag you would like. This is already being done on Twitter and I can see a lot of value in this to businesses on Facebook.
At InterCoastal Net Designs, we talk to new clients all the time about growing their social media presence the right way. Focusing on a strong and consistent posting strategy is the best way to engage users and develop these client relationships; but how do you get them there in the first place? While there are a number of different strategies, one of the most successful is running a contest.
Elements to a Successful Facebook Contest
- Obey the Rules - There are so many little rules that most people don't know about. The fine print can result in your Facebook page being deleted - consult the ICND experts!
- Make it Easy to Enter - Sometimes contests can be confusing! How do I enter? How do I vote? How do I increase my chances of winning? How do I share it? - These should all be very easy to understand and made simple to maximize results.
- Make the Contest Mobile Friendly - Here at InterCoastal Net Designs, we've seen as much as 70% of new fans come from a mobile device during a contest. That's a big chunk of the pie to miss out on. Don't use one of the generic Facebook apps that are on a tab on Facebook, while they are mobile friendly, they do not see near the results as building out a mobile specific page.
- Use Effective Posting Strategies - This is key to getting your contest to go viral. Take notice of what time you are posting, including a link to the contest, encourage sharing, tagging your page, and using an image.
- Get a Big Prize - This is a no brainer, the bigger the prize the more people will be enticed to share your contest.
- Encourage Sharing - You must encourage fans to "LIKE" & "SHARE" - Don't require it (that's against Facebook terms) but no one says you can't encourage it!
- When in doubt, Call InterCoastal Net Designs - We've had some tremendous success with contests targeting quality fans that are interested in what our clients are offering growing over 50k fans in 3 weeks. If you want to experience the best results when running a Facebook contest, let's talk!
We're excited to be launching so many successful contests for our clients and we'd love to help you grow customers, outreach and succesfull campaigns through Facebook contests.
Can you guess when we took over this client's Social Media?
The InterCoastal Net Designs Social Media team recently took over the social media account for a company in Myrtle Beach South Carolina in the vacation rental industry. After working with the client to put together a contest and content strategy, we were able to put together an incredible contest that reached over 1 million people, gained over 10,000 fans and generated a significant amount of revenue in just 1 week.
More details to come on this exciting contest and what exactly it produced for the client, but I think it's easy to say that it has been a successful contest with very good ROI!
How would you like to convert sales on Facebook at 40% less costs? - No brainer, right? Well let us introduce you to a brand new option introduced by Facebook last week and how ICND can leverage this for you RIGHT NOW!
One of the crucial pieces in advertising is tracking what is working and measuring the effectiveness of each piece. Until now, so many brands have questioned the benefits of social media and if it actually leads to an increase in sales. This new conversion tracking on Facebook (OCPM) has been available to some of the big brands for a while now but it has just been opened to everyone. Beta tests have shown a decrease in conversion costs by 40% when using this new OCPM method versus what almost everyone uses now on Facebook. (The CPC method)
How does it work?
ICND can create a conversion tracking pixel for your Facebook ads. This needs to be placed on your website on your designated "conversion page". Once the pixel is set, we are able to go back into the Facebook ads manager to set a budget and create ads using this optimized CPM method.
Cross Device ROI Measurement with (OCPM) on Facebook
One of the really exciting things about this new pixel tracking with Facebook is the fact that it's the ONLY solution available that can track when users view ads on one device (like a mobile phone) but then convert on another computer. This is incredibly powerful for a cross-platform ad campaign! Further, OCPM conversion tracking works with all Facebook ads and sponsored stories along with all of the powerful targeting options.
The highly anticipated event from Facebook and the long overdue announcement has arrived - Facebook is launching a search engine! In this blog, we're going to uncover exactly what it is and how your business can find it useful.
So what exactly is "Graph Search"?
Think about it as more of a structured search that relates to us as individuals than just a keyword that you would typically search on Google. Graph search is built in a way that it will encourage us to get recommendations from friends and friends of friends, and to find people within Facebook who share your interests. This connection is a strong endorsement style, personalized result, unlike anything else you can find on the web right now.
If you've worked in-depth with Facebook ads, you already see the incredibly valuable data that this social network holds. The precise interest targeting you're able to leverage is absolutely incredible and and it's important to note the value in this data when it comes to the new Graph Search. Marketers that know their clients best will be rewarded!
What information is used in "Graph Search"?
The type of information that you will be able to use to enhance your search on Facebook includes: Interests, Photos, Checkins and Likes. Think of the power this holds when you consider the value of a referral!
What do businesses need to keep in mind?
Engagement is STILL key - Your page's social graph will determine visibility in search. So businesses that can successfully engage with fans to create more likes, comments and shares will benefit the most and come up in the most search results. Optimize your edgerank and news feed optimization to increase engagement and the number of "people talking about" your page.
What else is new?
Integrated Bing search results. Bing already owns approximately 16% of the search marketshare - this further integration of Bing with the social giant could be a big opportunity for growth. There are 4 sponsored results that come at the top and 2 sponsored results at the bottom (Bing search is used when the placing a "web search" within the new Facebook Graph Search. The organic listings seem to take social signals into account such as people who have liked and shared the page. Pages with more likes, engagement and "people talking about" the page seem to have higher ranking in this Bing web search - reasonably so!
What does Facebook Graph Search NOT do?
Graph Search does not search for status updates or posts at this time, although it is on the future plans according to Facebook. It will only pull personalized results for your friends and "friends of friends" as well as broad search results for everyone - you cannot opt out at this time although you can significantly increase privacy.
- Likes are valuable - Run contests, engage fans, encourage sharing of your page and continue to integrate social with your other marketing efforts.
- Content is King on Search - Build up more content on your page and optimize it for search. Graph Search is still very new so begin testing and learn what "works".
- Engagement is key - It always has been with Social Media and always will be. Your post frequency, timing and optimization will increase this significantly so stay focused on engagement and the number of "people talking about" your page.
If you would like to work with the ICND team to leverage the new Facebook Graph search, manage your social media presence or utilize some of the extremely powerful advertising options available, contact your account rep or get in touch with the ICND Social Media team today!
InterCoastal Net Designs partnered with long-time client, Sloane Realty Vacations to design and implement a tab on Sloane's Facebook. This is a new app that ICND published which will allow Facebook fans to book properties directly from the Sloane Vacations Facebook page.
This new app is highly recommended for our vacation rental clients, as it provides the customer with an incredibly easy booking experience. The tab even includes several links to the website and mirrors the Sloane Realty Vacations brand. However, this type of app can be used for any of our clients for marketing purposes. Restaurant - why not allow fans to make reservations? Golf Course - let clients set a tee time online. The possibilites are endless.
What we did was took the booking page already created from their new site, adjusted the width of the page to size with Facebook. To make it appear correctly without scrollbars or anything, we created a new app for Sloane - this is not using a free generic Static HTML app.
This is a perfect example of how creativity, programming expertise and tailored marketing efforts are just three goals that ICND strives for with its clients. Contact your Account Manager today and ask what we can do for you social media presence.
We have just launched a new contest for a client and we wanted to share some of the results that it is showing.
The concept is simple:
1) Offering a sizable Prize
2) Make it Easy to share
3) Promote it Effectively (without spamming!)
There are a few other very important aspects of the contest that truly make it viral and encourage sharing that ICND can help with!
• First and foremost, you must follow all of Facebook’s guidelines and rules. These are spelled out for you in their terms but it is crucial to follow these or your page is in jeopardy of being shut down.
• Secondly, you need to make it extremely easy for fans and visitors to “SHARE” your contest with friends!
• Third, you must convert visitors to actually “LIKE” your page.
• Lastly, you need to promote your contest effectively and without spamming your current fans.
It’s a very simple concept but much harder to actually take on yourself if you’re not in familiar territory. We have had extreme success in helping our clients launch contests to increase their fan base and exposure through social media and we’d love to do the same for you! Please contact our team to show you just how we can get started! Call: 910-575-6095 or email us at email@example.com